Last updated: March 12, 2020
Is marijuana legal in Virginia?
Marijuana is illegal in Virginia for recreational and medical purposes. Possession is criminal.
As of 2015, cannabis-infused oil can be prescribed by a doctor for a limited set of medical conditions.
There is growing support for legalizing medical marijuana in Virginia and for decriminalizing marijuana possession. Governor Ralph Northam is a proponent of decriminalization. Attorney General Mark Herring supports recreational marijuana.
Legislative efforts are ongoing in 2020 for marijuana reform in Virginia. Decriminalization in 2020 seems likely.
- Cannabis in Virginia (Wikipedia)
- Virginia NORML
- Marijuana Policy Project – Virginia
- Virginia Laws and Penalties (NORML)
- Cannabis Voter Project – Virginia
- Virginia Cannabis Industry Association
- Cannabis Commonwealth
- Marijuana Justice
- Virginia Medical Cannabis Coalition
- Cannabis Business Association of Virginia