Last updated: March 12, 2020
Is marijuana legal in Utah?
Medical marijuana is legal in Utah for patients under a doctor’s care who have a limited set of qualifying conditions.
Utah has limited medical marijuana legalization as of 2018, when a bill was passed to begin a state-run medical cannabis program. The bill stipulated that a Utah medical cannabis program be put into place by March, 2020, and the state has lived up to that commitment.
Only those with qualifying conditions are eligible for medical marijuana. There are many other restrictions on medical marijuana.
Recreational marijuana is illegal in Utah, and possession is severely punishable.
Activists are currently focused on expanding the state’s medical marijuana program.
- Cannabis in Utah (Wikipedia)
- Utah Medical Cannabis Program
- University of Utah Health and Medical Marijuana
- Utah Marijuana Laws and Penalties (NORML)
- Utah Cann Cannabis Business Conference and Expo
- Together for Responsible Use and Cannabis Education (TRUCE) – Utah
- Marijuana Policy Project – Utah
- Americans for Safe Access – Becoming a Patient in Utah