Last updated: March 12, 2020
Is marijuana legal in Louisiana?
Medical marijuana is legal in Louisiana. Marijuana was also semi-decriminalized in 2015, but recreational marijuana remains illegal in the state.
Medical Marijuana has been legal since the 1990s, but a program for medical marijuana dispensaries to open in Louisiana began only in summer of 2019.
Louisiana’s medical marijuana program is fairly limited. No smokable for vapeable products are legal for medical use. Marijuana products must be dispensed at a pharmacy rather than a dispensary.
Activists are rallying at events in 2020 to call for the legalization of recreational marijuana in Louisiana. The Louisiana legislature may consider House Bill 346 in 2020, which would enact recreational marijuana legalization.
Citizens in Louisiana can contact their state representatives to let them know that you support HB346.
- Legalize Louisiana
- Louisiana Cannabis Coalition
- Marijuana Policy Project – Louisiana
- Cannabis Voter Project – Louisiana
- Louisiana Cannabis Law Society
- Cannabis in Louisiana (Wikipedia)
- Louisiana Laws and Penalties (NORML)
- Sensible Marijuana Policy, Louisiana